The internet has been abuzz with announcement by Sotheby’s to auction Kanye West’s Nike Air Yeezy 1 prototypes for over $1 million.
Even though the billionaire rapper might not likely be having the best of time given the divorce with Kim Kardashian, he is definitely smiling to the bank soon after a successful outcome for auctioning of the sneakers.
Below are 10 things you probably don’t know about the prototypes:
1. Kanye West first collaborated with Nike for the black leather, size 12 Nike Air Yeezy 1 Prototypes.
2. They were co-developed with Mark Smith
3. The first prototypes featured a Yeezy forefoot strap and the brand’s signature Y medallion lace locks in pink.
4. They were produced in December of 2008 in Nike’s Feng Tay factory.
5. He wore them for his emotional performances of “Hey Mama” and “Stronger” at the 2008 Grammy Awards.
6. The general release occurred in April of 2009
7. The prototypes were later sold in a charity auction and are being put up for sale at Sotheby’s by New York collector Ryan Chang.
8. The billionaire rapper ended his collaboration with Nike in 2013 and took the brand to Adidas.
9. According to Forbes, the Yeezy brand of sneakers brought in an estimated $1.7 billion in sales in 2020.
10. The Nike Air Yeezy 1 prototypes were critical to the development of the Yeezy franchise, which became one of the most important sneaker and lifestyle brands in history.